I enjoy volunteering and mentoring, primarily with a focus on STEM education and helping others with their career development - whether they are
starting out, advancing their current skills, or trying to transition to something new.
Colorado OEDIT (Office of Economic Development and International Trade), 2015 - present:
I work as part of the Aerospace Committee to review technology accelerator grant proposals for small Colorado businesses, with the intent of advancing technology and economic development in our state.
The Aerospace subcommittee meets 2-3 times per year - both in subcommittee and full committee meetings.
Program Management Institute - Mile High Chapter, 2015 - present:
- 2017 - present: Director of the new North Workshop
- 2015 - present: Career Growth Workshops Speaker Team
- 2015-2016: Symposium Core Team: Logistics
- 2015, 2017 Symposium Speaker Ambassador
Introduced speaker, facilitated workshop session.
- 2015 - 2016 PM Week Core Team Member
Assist with coordination and oversight of the PM Week events. There is one event planned per evening.
- Saturday, September 24: Saturday Workshop - "Managing Up" by Jim Piper
- Tuesday, September 27: Keeping Yourself Relevant in this Job Market
- Wednesday, September 28: PM Week Free Webinar - Membership Benefits
- Wednesday, September 28: PM Week PM Talks
- Thursday, September 29: PM Week Free Webinar: Communication Management
- Friday, September 30: PM Week PM Fundamentals
- Saturday, October 1: PM Week Career Growth Workshops, Re-Invent Your Career and Speed Mentoring
- Monday, September 21: Mile Hi Project Managers Talk - fast-moving informative talks! (location: Denver)
- Tuesday, September 22: Learn about how project management can take a brewery to the next level! (Field trip!) (location: Longmont)
- Wednesday, September 23: Discuss project management trends in an Open Space environment. Free-form & very interactive on topics you and others choose
when you get to the meeting.(location: Broomfield)
- Thursday, September 24: Speed Networking! (location: Denver)
- Friday, September 25: Itís all about being social and maximizing your networking! (Denver)
- 2016 PM Week Speed Mentoring Event Lead
- 2015 PM Week Open Space Event Lead
Led a team of 6 in developing the Open Space Event agenda, volunteer/facilitator training package, survey questions,
supplies list, event menu, obtaining supplies from the Mile High chapter, running the event. Created and maintained the event planning schedule to ensure all milestones were met.
More information about Open Space events is available here: http://openspaceworld.org/wp2/open/
I love the advertisement PMI created for my event!
CSBR (Colorado Space Business Round Table), 2015 - 2016:
Member of the Educational Committee, whose mission is to promote STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) education throughout Colorado in support
of the state's space industry.
Johns Hopkins University - SETA for the Master's Program in Systems Engineering, April - June, 2015:
Attended presentations sessions of the Systems Engineering Capstone Class at
Ball Aerospace. For this class, students were groups into 4 teams, each working on a design for a
Mars flyer that would collect geological data. Provided detailed feedback and recommendations to
each of the teams for each of their design milestones.
- Colorado School of Mines:
- Mentoring Program: 2016 - present: This has been the inaugural school year of a formal mentoring program, sponsored by the Mines Student Alumni Association (SAA). The intent of the
program is to create longer term mentoring relationships.
- Connections Event: 2015 - present: This annual event provides a speed mentoring format, where groups of students can discuss career development with alumni.
- Physics Banquet and other mentoring meetings, 2012 - present: Meeting with students intended to increase recruitment and retention of physics students. Topics include: my career path, the types of opportunities available in my industry,
when graduate school does or doesn't make sense, networking and finding a job, interviewing, communicating with a new boss, and more!
- Discussions on selecting a career, building a resume, navigating office politics
- Resume and LinkedIn reviews
Return to the top of the page
Frequently Asked Questions